Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cutting Glass Circles: You Can Do It!

Hello all! I've been asked several times about cutting glass circles, so I decided to make a video showing how it's done. I know after watching this that all of you will think I am some kind of glass wizard, but rest assured cutting circles is not magic. Believe me, if you know how to cut glass then you can cut circles. And, it's like riding a bike. Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. You'll be so excited that you can cut circles that there probably won't be a square left in your studio! Anyway, enjoy this video and let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Cutting!

2 comments:

  1. I think you may want to mention that when flipping the glass over--after running your initial score--there's a chance the circle can fall out of the square. It's important to hold the circle in place and carefully flip the entire piece.

    For what it's worth, I score my circle, carefully flip the piece and run the score, and then cut my relief scores on that side. Use running pliers to clip the relief scores and the circle pops right out.

    I don't know if it's your technique of running both sides of the score but you seem to have an awful lot of glass slivers on your table after cutting out your circle. I seldom see more than one or two slivers.

    But I definitely agree with you; after you master circle cutting, you'll wonder why you ever feared it. Now, to figure out what to do with all those leftover shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valeria! Thanks for your comments. Your right about the possibility of the circle dropping out when the glass is flipped. The slivers probably are a result of running both sides. I'll try it running only one side and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete